Below is an illustrated, step-by-step guide to the installation and configuration. These instructions will be written from the stand point of a PC user with the mIRC program for IRC, but others (Mac + Linux) are similar in concept. You can get mIRC at http://www.mirc.com
mIRC Software Installation
- Double Click on the file you just downloaded.
- You're almost done! Check Launch mIRC and then click Finish. Go on to the next section.
Below is an example that will connect you to the Allxtremenet.net
IRC network and place you in the channel #H00ple-n-h0tdi
- You will see an About mIRC window. Click on Continue to close this window.
- This will bring up the mIRC Options window. Here's what it looks like:
Fill in the fields with your Yahoo! ID with the Alternative being similar to your ID but NOT the same.
- On the left under Connect click on Servers. Now, you need to make sure that the IRC Network: is set to Liquid-Silver.net.
- In left hand section, called Category: Click on Identd (you may need expand Connect to see it). Check Enable Identd Server. This will enable the IRC servers to be able to recognize you. You may be able to connect for short periods without this option, but I highly recommend it. Getting disconnected a lot? Could be this isn't setup right! If you're a broadband user, I can almost guarantee that you will need this option. No spaces are allowed in the User ID: field. Don't change the System or Port information.
- mIRC should be open at the Status screen. Click on the menue bar File and then Connect.
- The mIRC program is going to do a lot of things, and for a while it may look like anything is happening. Give it some time and be patient. On busy nights it's not unusual to take more than 1-2 minutes or a bit more to connect. It will eventually pop up a screen that is called mIRC Channels Favorites.
- Click Add.
- Fill in #H00ple-n-h0tdi in the Enter a channel: field. Select Liquid-Silver.net in the Networks pulldown and check Join on connect. Click OK.
- Click the Join button.
When you're connected, you'll see a window similar to this one below:
- Now, just start typing, and enjoy!
Just one tip about IRC for newbies: when you connect to the room it may take a while for those in the room to respond to you. One reason is network delays which can be as much as 10 seconds (or more on bad day). The other reason is they may be busy in another window or away from the keyboard for a moment and haven't seen you yet. So, that said, sit back and wait at least 3 minutes before clicking the X and muttering explicatives!
Other useful Resources
A very well done illustrated guide to the above for a Linksys router titled 'mIRC and LinkSys Router (EtherFast 4-Port 10/100) Set Up Help' is found here: http://kareno.net/LinkSys/
Windows XP firewall help http://toidyman.net/xp-dcc/
A techie's dream guide: http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/security/fwfaq.html and http://www.mirc.com/faq6.html#section6-9
Return to Hoople & hotdi's main page
Last updated Saturday, July 26, 2008
All content copyright 2002-2008 Hoople & hotdi